Thursday, April 30, 2009
never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. – margaret mead
wow, can you believe that tranquil space is celebrating our first year in our 17th street haven and our tenth year of serving up tranquility in washington? my how time flies! over the next six months we will be hosting special events for the countdown to our 10-year birthday bash on friday, october 30. stay tuned for all the scoop and be sure to mark your social calendars. in reflection over the past ten years, i wanted to share insights into our tranquilosophy.
tranquil space exists to serve. when we launched in fall 1999, my hope was to connect individuals seeking a like-minded community through yoga. this vision has grown and expanded over the years, but the value is still at the core of tranquil space. as a means for even further expansion of our values, we launched tranquil space foundation three years ago. (watch video from last week’s lunafest event). i believe that organizations and individuals shine best when giving back.
wondering how to incorporate a little day-to-day do-gooding? below are a few, simple ways to make a difference in your daily life:
1. exude kindness: smile, say “thank you” often, listen fully.
2. get active: support a cause with all your heart and oodles of resources.
3. build community: gather like-minded individuals to find support and combine efforts.
4. give back: share your resources, plant a community garden, pick up trash.
5. go green: reuse paper, eat in season, switch to wind-powered electricity.
6. be present: give others your full attention.
7. reach out: touch base with loved ones. send “thinking of you” e-mails.
8. live simply: pack your lunch, savor tea sipping, trim expenses.
9. be beautiful: put your best self forward. always do your best.
10. live your yoga: lokah samastah sukhino bhavantu.
maya angelou reminds us, “i've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” may we all work daily to leave a memorable mark on the world. after all, that’s what yoga is all about. what is your do-gooding to-do du jour?
let’s leave a legacy.