Today’s menu features a must-have pose in On the Mat, an insightful interview with Melissa Milam on cooking up cosmetics, and we’ve got Omwork for you too. View our shownotes at hiptranquilchick.com/blog.
On the Mat: Sphinx Pose
Off the Mat: Today’s podcast is on inspiration + cookin’ up cosmetics with Melissa Milam.
Melissa Milam is always in the right place at the right time. Founder of Aurora Natural Cosmetics, Melissa strives to bring her clients natural skincare products with style. After starting Aurora in her tiny Manhattan apartment, Melissa moved the company (and her life) to Santa Fe, New Mexico. When she's not developing a new recipe for eye cream or lip gloss, Melissa enjoys yoga, mediation, snowboarding, reading Vogue and supporting Governor Bill Richardson's presidential campaign. Check out her latest products at getaurora.com.
Fabulous Face Mask
Take one avocado, mash it up real good and immediately apply to your face for 15 mins. Light some candles, play some relaxing music and enjoy the healing benefits of nature!
Honey and Rose Lip Balm
Adapted from Face Creams, Hair Rinses, and Body Lotions: Recipes for Natural Beauty by Gill Farrer-Halls
5 drops red color base (see step 1)
1 tbsp rosehip seed oil
1 tbsp calendula oil
5 tbsp sweet almond oil
1 drop liquid honey
2 vitamin E capsules, or 2 "long squeezes" of vitamin e oil
5 drops rose essential oil
(1) To make the red color base, saute one teaspoon of ground alkanet root, or any red-colored root, in one tablespoon of sunflower oil in a double boiler (one pot inside a larger pot filled with water) until the oil starts to bubble. Remove from heat and set aside.
(2) Prepare a fresh double boiler. Add the oils one by one into the top of the double boiler.
(3) Add the honey, beeswax and red color base. Stir gently and continuously to blend the ingredients.
(4) While the beeswax is melting, add the vitamin E.
(5) Once the beeswax is melted, remove from heat. Continue to stir as it cools, and add the rose essential oil.
(6) Pour into small glass or ceramic jars (not plastic) and let cool for about thirty minutes. Enjoy!
**If you want more color, add more color base. If you want a lighter peach color, use less.
**If you want a lip gloss instead of a balm, leave out the beeswax.
Omwork: To encourage a sense of diving deeper into today’s podcast, I will post Omwork relating to this segment on our HTC forum. Please connect with fellow HTCs there and play with the following:
1. Have you had an “aha” moment surrounding a product or service?
2. What stops you from moving forward with it?
3. What step can you take this week to explore it as a possibility?
Haute Stuff Shoppe: Shop online for my new retail therapy page complete with the Hip Tranquil Chick book, yoga CDs, and tranquilista gems.
Signature Style: TranquiliT’s wrap dress!
Soirees, Chats, Booksignings & Retreats: Come to Costa Rica over Labor Day weekend and to our next retreat in the Catskills of NY in March. I’ll be leading workshops and hosting book signings in Montreal and the Boston area in November; Charleston, WV and Charlotte, NC in February; and back to Denver in April. Details for all special events at hiptranquilchick.com. I hope our paths will cross.
Join us for our next le chic teleclass chat focused on savvy self-care on Monday, September 10 at 8:30ET. Details here.
Community Corner: A reminder – if you have a product you’d like reviewed by me on the blog – send a sample to me at 2024 p street, nw dc, 20036. sending a sample does not guarantee placement but I’d love to support our burgeouning community!
Mentoring: Interested in diving deeper into hip and tranquil topics 1:1? If so, view all the scoop here.
Au Revoir: Share your hip tranquil chickness with me, request show ideas, or pass along feedback by e-mailing email@example.com. We’re on MySpace and Frappr, so please connect with the community virtually there, too!
To close out the show, we’re playing podsafe music from Podsafe Music Network.Today’s selection is Lullaby by radium88. You can learn more this week's featured artist, including how to get more of their music at radium88.net.
Thanks for joining me for the 97th edition of the HTC podcast. 2 more to go until our centennial celebration interview. Namaste.
- You don't need an iPod to listen to the podcast! Click on the player at the top of the post or click here to listen to older episodes!
- New to podcasting? Get more info at Yahoo Podcasts.
- Do you have iTunes? Click here and subscribe to the podcast. You'll automatically get the latest edition as soon as it's available.
- Do you use another podcatcher? Use this link for the podcast RSS feed
Check out nineball media.