Q: How does a hip tranquil chick get balanced? My life feels as if it is spinning out of control at times--I need to focus. Help!
A: Hip tranquil chicks have lots going on. It is easy to get overwhelmed when you have so many exciting balls in the air. I find that practicing these 5 sure-fire balancing tips can help bring me back into focus:
1. Breathe deeply and often. Ok, so we all know that breathing is a life force but conscious breathing is a whole other thing. When the going gets tough, when you’re late to a meeting, or when the puppy won’t stop barking, tune into a deep, slow breath.
2. Carve out alone time each and every day. Your down time may be as simple as taking a much-needed walk around the block, skipping out for some coffeeshop time, or going for a long bike ride!
3. Do things differently. Adding a little variety into your everyday routine is sure to help you reconnect with who you are and have a little fun along the way. Instead of a sandwich for lunch, order a salad and eat it in the park (alone to multi-task with #2), listen to Madonna rather than classical when getting ready in the morning, or sip green tea throughout the day rather than your usual mocha.
4. Blend work and play. When you’re living your passion, you will be able to combine your work with your lifestyle. For example, are you a musician-in-the-making but lawyer by day? Why not explore ways to share your music with others by teaching children, singing in coffee shops, or putting together a CD to sell? By bridging the gap between your passions, your life will feel less disjointed.
5. Nurture yourself regularly. It is critical that you spend time connecting within to refill your well and be your best self for othes. Some simple and easy ways to do so are through massage, journal writing, retreats, meditation, yoga, mani and pedis, blogging, reading, gardening, shopping, organizing, going through your closet, cooking, dancing, hot baths, connecting to like-minded women, and taking long naps.